I live in SF and I like beer. By no means does that make me an expert, but after having gone bar hopping for the past 6 years (which my Dad still finds hard to believe) and spending way too much dough on booze, I’ve curated a list of bars that are my faves. Whether it’s just to kick one back with your homies or to try new flavors, this list has got something for you.
5 Awesome Places to Drink Beer in SF
1. Biergarten (Hayes Valley, SF) – Perfect for sunny summer days (be sure to still bring a jacket though, for no other reason than this is SF) and with a group of friends, Biergarten always delivers. There are always a few tasty beers on tap, as well as wine and non-alcoholic options. They also feature a smattering of small plates so you can nosh as you drink those steins. Prost!
424 Octavia St, San Francisco, CA 94102
2. Mission Bar (Mission, SF) – If you’re a fan of dive bars, this place is the bee’s knees. They offer cheap beer, have a pool table, booths that you can lose yourself in conversation in, and are cash only. I would like to emphasize that cheap beer has become somewhat of a non sequitur in SF so this place is a legit gem.
2697 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
3. Hopwater (Nob Hill, SF) – There are lots of beers on tap and a beautiful two-story bar to indulge them in. They also have food options so you won’t go hungry as you get that beer buzz going.
850 Bush St, San Francisco, CA 94108
4. Hogwash (Nob Hill, SF) – This is pretty much right next door to Hopwater, making it easy to bar hop. They have a good selection of beers and they also have noms here, with a heavy emphasis on sausage.
582 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA 94108
5. Boardroom (North Beach, SF) – Featuring high wooden tables, a long bar, and minimal tourists, this is a great local’s joint. There are a few beers on tap and one of the best bar nachos I’ve had in the city.
1609 Powell St, San Francisco, CA 94133
I’m sure there are tons more good spots in the city and your list probably differs from my list. What are some of your fave spots to drink in the city?